CAPITAL AREA RADIO DRONE SQUADRON BYLAWS
Article I Name and Purpose
1. The Club shall be known as the "Capital Area Radio Drone Squadron" as provided in the Articles of Incorporation. It shall also be known by the short title of "CARDS".
The purposes of the club are as provided in the Articles of Incorporation.
Article II Office and Term
1. The address of the registered office and the name of the resident agent shall be as determined by resolution of the Board of Directors.
The term of existence of the Club shall be in perpetuity.
Article III Membership and Terms of Membership
1. Membership in this club shall be open to all, upon completion of membership form and payment of dues, who show an interest in radio control model aircraft, and who are members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
2. Types of Membership:
a. A General Member is entitled to all rights and privileges without limitation.
b. A Family Member is a member of the immediate family of a General Member who shall enjoy all the rights and privileges of a General Member, except voting, providing he or she holds a current AMA license.
c. An Honorary Member is a designation bestowed upon a living person by the membership who has distinguished him or herself in the hobby of radio control model aeronautics. The Club may consider such designation upon the recommendation, in writing, of a regular member. Honorary Members shall have no voting privileges and will hold such designation at the pleasure of the membership. Such members may use the Club Field but only as a guest of a General Member and providing he holds a current AMA license.
d. A Lifetime Member is a designation bestowed upon a living person by the membership who has distinguished him or herself in the hobby of radio control model aeronautics. The Club may consider such designation upon the recommendation, in writing, of a regular member to the Board of Directors. Lifetime Members are entitled to all rights and privileges of a General Member without limitation.
e. Youth Member: A Youth Member is a person 19 years of age and younger. He/she must have and maintain a current AMA membership. Youth Members under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all club activities. The dues for a Youth Membership shall be ½ the dues of a General Membership plus the initiation fee. The Youth Member shall enjoy all the rights and privileges of a General Member, except voting.
3. The Membership Secretary shall furnish every new member upon being accepted, with a copy of the Club’s by-laws and any rules and regulations, which may have been adopted.
4. Requirements of all Members:
a. Each Member shall be responsible for conduct and policing of any areas where he or she flies, so as to keep and perpetuate a good club image
b. Any Member seeing Club Property being misused shall immediately do his or her utmost to halt such action.
c. Each Member should render upon request any advice or assistance needed, to any modeler, whether he or she is a member or not.
d. To the best of their ability, every Member is expected to support club activities and to participate in the administration of club functions such as contests, static displays or any other activity dedicated to the promotion of radio controlled model aircraft.
5. During the month of November the Membership Secretary shall provide each member with an appropriate membership form, due on January 31st of the following year, together with such appropriate form to be completed and returned by the Member. This is a condition of membership, which with his or her AMA status, frequency number(s) or any other such pertinent information required for continued membership shall be submitted. Such statement and form may be included in the Club Newsletter mailing.
6. Any Member may be removed by the membership, upon a recommendation and review from the Board of Directors, whenever in their judgment the best interests of the Club will be served thereby, proving the same requirements as are imposed for amending these Bylaws (Article XV) are followed. Article IV Dues and Initiation Fee
1. The amount of dues or penalty for late payment shall be as recommended by the Board of Directors and affirmed by a majority of the membership present and voting at any regular meeting.
2. The dues shall be due on January 31st of each year. Any new member, being received into the Club after July 1st, shall have dues of one half of the current rate for the remaining months in that fiscal year. These dues are separate from any initiation Fee imposed by the Board of Directors.
3. Any Member more than thirty days delinquent in paying his or her dues shall be removed from membership. A Member removed for non-payment of dues can make reapplication for membership only with the full payment of the current year’s dues plus penalty, if applicable.
4. All dues collected shall be entered upon the books of the Club for general use and are not refundable unless the member is removed by the membership, in which case the unused pro-rated monthly amount shall be refunded.
5. All members of the Board of Directors will receive a full paid club membership as long as he/she holds said office, as will the Membership Secretary, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster.
Article V Meetings
1. Awards Banquet: The annual Awards Banquet shall be held in the month of November. It is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to make the necessary arrangements and reservations for the Club Banquet. The President will conduct Banquet. It is the responsibility of the Vice President to raise the necessary funds for the Banquet. (Ie: Raffle Prizes, 50-50-tickets, Etc) 3
2. Regular Meeting: There shall be regular monthly meetings of the membership at a time and place as determined by the Board of Directors. Regular meetings may be omitted as determined by the Board of Directors providing not more than three consecutive months pass without holding a regular meeting.
3. Annual Meeting: The December meeting is the club’s annual meeting. During this meeting the outgoing President will conduct the meeting up to the break and then the incoming President is introduced and assumes his or her responsibilities. The remaining Board Members assume their responsibilities at the beginning of the December meeting.
4. Special: A special meeting of the membership shall be called by the Board of Directors at any time ten (10) or more members in good standing request such meeting.
5. Board: The Board of Directors shall meet before each annual and each regular meeting at a time and place determined by the presiding President.
6. Quorum: The percent (10%) of the members entitled to vote shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of the membership. A majority of the Board of Directors constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
Article VI Fiscal Year
1. The fiscal year of this club shall begin on the first day of January and end or the thirty-first day of December of each year. Article VII Election of Officials 1. Election of Club Officials shall be conducted annually at the October regular monthly meeting.
2. The Vice-President will automatically advance to President providing he or she has not been removed from office pursuant to Article VIII. The Treasurer shall be elected for a two-year term. The Recording Secretary shall be elected for a two-year term. The elected board-member-at-large will be elected for a one-year term.
3. No members of the same family shall hold an elected office at the same time.
Article VIII Powers and Officials of the Club:
1. Except as otherwise provided by law, the powers of the Club shall be exercised and its business affairs and property managed by a Board of Directors consisting of the following elected and appointed officials: President Vice-President Recording Secretary Treasurer Board Member At Large — Elected Board Member At Large — Appointed Immediate Past President
2. The elected Officers of the Club shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Treasurer, a Recording Secretary and a Board Member At Large, each of whom shall be elected by the Membership to hold office until his successor shall have been chosen and shall have qualified. The President may succeed himself providing the immediate Past President remains as a member of the Board of Directors.
3. The appointed officer of the Club shall be a Board Member At Large, who shall be appointed by the President and confirmed by the Board of Directors to hold office until his successor shall have been chosen and shall have qualified.
4. The Membership may elect such other officers as it may deem necessary for the transaction of the business of the Club, each of whom shall have such authority, shall perform such duties and shall hold office for such term as may be prescribed by the Membership from time to time.
5. Any two of the elected and appointed offices, except that of President and Vice President may be held by the same person, but no person shall execute, acknowledge, or verify any instrument in more than one capacity.
6. Vacancies: If a vacancy occurs in any elected official’s position during the first half of the person’s term of office, the President shall call for a special election to fill the position until that term of office has expired. If the vacancy occurs in the second half of the term in office, the President may, with the approval of the Board of Directors, appoint someone to fill that position until that position’s term in office has expired.
7. The Board of Directors may designate or recommend a Safety Officer, a Newsletter Editor, a Webmaster, a Chief Flight Instructor and a Membership Secretary and such other officials as it may deem necessary for the transaction of activities of the Club. Each of whom shall have such authority, shall perform such duties and shall hold this position for such term as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time.
8. Any elected official may be removed by the Membership whenever in their judgment the best interests of the Club will be served thereby at any annual or regular monthly meeting by a majority vote of the members present and voting.
Article IX Duties
1. President: The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Club and shall have general supervision of its affairs and shall be subject to the control of the Board of Directors. He shall preside at all meetings of the Membership and the Board of Directors and shall carry out the policies established by the Board of Directors. He shall act as the official Club Spokesman; he/she may sit on any and all committees so appointed by the Board of Directors.
2. Vice-President: The Vice-President shall perform and discharge the duties of the President in case of his absence or inability to act. He shall also perform such other duties as the Board of Directors or President shall prescribe.
3. Recording Secretary: The Recording Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of all meetings; conduct Club correspondence and shall perform the duties incidental to the office of Recording Secretary and other duties as the Board of Directors or President shall prescribe.
4. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be the principal financial officer of the Club and should render an accurate account of the financial condition of the Club at the annual meeting of the membership. The Treasurer shall collect all dues, assessments and amounts owing to the Club and should deposit same to a bank account in the Clubs name; he/she shall discharge all financial obligation of the Club as approved by the 5 Board of Directors or club membership. The Treasurer shall be bondable and accountable to the Board and general membership.
Article X Committees
1. The Board of Directors, by resolution, may create such special or standing committees, as they deem advisable.
2. All ad-hoc committees not constitutionally required, when created, shall have a stated expiration date. All ad-hoc committees not created with an expiration date shall automatically expire at the end of the calendar year unless expressly extended by the Board of Directors.
Article XI Checks and Funds
1. Checks, etc. All checks issued in the name of the Club shall be signed by two officers of the Club and in such manner shall from time to time be determined by resolution of the Board of Directors.
2. Funds: All funds and properties shall stand in the name of the Club. The funds of the Club shall be disbursed only as authorized by the Board of Directors, except in the instance of expenditures in excess of $400.00, which shall be authorized only by the membership.
3. Deposits: All monies belonging to the Club shall be deposited to the credit of the Club in such depositories as shall be designated from time to time by resolution of the Board of Directors. The Vice-President shall retain sufficient operating funds.
Article XII Logo and Motto
1. The Membership shall determine or select a design and provide for a logo and adopt a motto both appropriate to our Club.
Article XIII Rules and Regulations
1. The Board of Directors shall have the power to make, by resolution, such rules and regulations, not inconsistent with the laws of this state, nor with the Articles of Incorporation, nor these by-laws, as they may deem necessary for the safe and orderly conduct of the following activities:
a. Flying Field
b. Pilot and instructors Qualifications
c. Training Aircraft
d. Competition, Demonstrations, Shows and Contests
e. Any other activity designed to carry out the objectives of the Club.
2. The Club may have a Newsletter or Meeting Notification Card, which is to be published monthly and mailed to each member in good standing at least (7) days before the annual and regular monthly meetings. If the Board of Directors chooses to omit any regular monthly meeting the Newsletter, too, may be omitted.
3. The purpose of the Newsletter is to provide newsworthy information to all Club Members concerning its Members, radio control model aviation events and activities of the Club.
4. A full mailing and telephone list of all members in good standing will be printed and made available to the membership two (2) times each year with the monthly newsletter; in March and October, and thereafter, any changes thereto shall be reported in the monthly newsletter. Members have the option to ask that their address and telephone number be omitted from this publication.
5. The Newsletter will be edited and published under the direction of the Club Editor who will be solely responsible to the Board of Directors for its content and operation. The Board of Directors shall approve in advance all advertising rates, budget, and circulation for the Newsletter operation.
Article XIV Special Awards
1. Outstanding Member of the Year Award
a. Each year a special award may be granted to a member most deserving and representative of the "CARDS Outstanding Member of the Year Award". All members in good standing are eligible. The recipient of the award shall be chosen by a committee of three, appointed by the Board of Directors. Each committee member is required to be in good standing and a prior recipient of the award. The award shall be made in such manner prescribed by the Board of Directors.
Article XV Amendments
1. These by-laws may be amended or repealed at any annual or regular monthly meeting of the membership, provided it is by a majority vote of all members of the Club or by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present and voting at the meeting, whichever is lesser. The proposed amendment or repeal must be either published at least once in the Newsletter preceding the meeting for adoption or presented to the membership at a prior regular meeting.
Article XVI Club Dissolution
1. Should it ever become necessary to dissolve the club for any reason, all remaining assets will be divided equally among the members in good standing at the time the dissolution is announced.
Contact - Last Updated: May 25, 2007
Revised as approved on February 29, 2008